Monday, September 6, 2010

Tour Day 73 Bikes Have Feelings Sept 6 2010

Ok there is no way my luck can get any worse. I am going to start off with where I am right now. I am currently at a laundry mat in Akin. The reason I say that is as I was pulling up the laundry mat wouldn’t you guess it my front tire is flat. Now I simply thought that my patch had blown but when I took the tube out there it was another small puncture. I can’t explain it either because the tire itself is perfectly clean. Really what the heck is going on here every day it is something else I just want to get out and ride. Instead im spending more time working on my bike, doing chores and catching up on just day to day stuff. Now I know that needs to be done it is just starting to get frustrating because now instead of going back and relaxing I have to make a 5 mile detour to go pick up tubes… again.

The day’s ride started off nice. It was dark and the brisk morning air was a pleasant change. Thinking I was smart I put on my big headlamp, but of course it was dead. Then thinking I was smart again I stopped for batteries for my rear light. Then I found out the read light was broken. Really a great way to start off the morning.

That in the back of my head I kept riding down the road and got into Columbia with no problems. In Columbia I fallowed where the arrows pointed me and two times they led me down roads that did not go anywhere. Thankfully I wised up and looked at a few maps and got some directions from a couple which meant I got out of dodge in pretty good time

At this point I was fighting with my front end again. Great my tube was giving me issues again. This one was not another flat just a busted patch so I threw in my other patched tube.

At lunch I got to talking with some locals which is normal. What was not normal was having to explain where Vancouver was to everyone. Each person went you’re from Washington, and then I had to go into the discussion about how it was in Canada. Even when I talked about the Olympics one gentleman said, “ain’t those events in Athens”. To which I had a little chuckle.

That brings us to the rest stop and the laundry mat. After completing my laundry my bike started to act up even more. The brakes were squealing like a beaver, and this annoying tick arose again. That tick only arises when the bike is screaming for help. I am a firm believer that bikes have feelings that need to be looked after. The past few days I am going to chalk up to my bike saying, “Evan why aren’t you helping me my wheel is f’ed and you did nothing”. To appease the bike gods I got a new front tire, replaced the tube, replaced the brakes, and lubed everything. It did not go smooth though because when I was taking off the pedals I was reefing on my little tool to get them off when it slipped and my knuckles went right into cranks. So after getting a bit of blood and nail matter on my cranks I was about ready to throw my bike out the door.

Luckily I didn’t because I realized this bike has got me over 10000km with no maintence so a couple days of the bike acting up is not all that bad. In all honesty it is probably my fault for not getting that new tire after the first 2 flats. Instead I thought that it was just bad luck.
Trip Distance: 172km
Ride Time: 8:11hr
Avg. Speed: 21.04km/h
Total Distance: 10739km
Total Ride Time: 503hr
Destination: Akin, South Carolina (almost as good as Dildo, Newfoundland)

To all PGA fans I will be going through Augusta tomorrow. I am not sure if I will see the golf course or not.

3 comments:

  1. Be nice to your bike.It has carried you many miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's all you have had to wrench on in 10,000 km's I would say you are more lucky than unlucky.
    How far can a chain take you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to Newfoundland on my first chain. Then this one will probs get swapped near Key West

    ReplyDelete