Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tour Day 86 A Good Nights Sleep Sept 19 2010

When I woke up I could not wait to get riding because I was sweaty, sticky, and gross. Adding to this I had to roll the bike down 2 flights of stairs which is a little sketchy because the bike has a mind of its own once it gets rolling.

Once rolling I was amazing how different things look in the dark. This ghetto that I was staying in actually looked nice when only the trees on the side of street were lit up. I have been contemplating stating even earlier in the mornings because it is far more pleasant to ride in. mabey start at 5 am instead of 6, that being said the days are getting shorter so I may actually get my way without changing anything.

The rolling hills carried over today but I was prepared and just took my time on of it and never gave 100%. With things running smooth my mind had a chance to think about things other then my bike. I had a chance to realize how sore I am. My left shoulder is killing when I rotate it backwards, my right hand has multiple pintched nerves so writing is impossible, and my ankle has been hurting for the past few days. I think when I was having my cassette issues when it slipped and snapped my ankle back underload may have caused a problem. Luckily all of these things do not hurt much when im riding unless I do specific movements.

With that in mind I made the choice to take it easy today. No 200km day today for me. So I took my time and took in the sights of a few towns I passed through. I also got the chance to ride one of the coolest stretches of road yet. It was a bridge called Victory Bridge that was dead flat and crossed this swamp that was about 3kms long. What made it really cool was the fact that this bridge was right at the top of the trees so you could see for miles.

Now with taking it easy in mind I still pushed myself. Lunch was supposed to be at 120km. I felt good so I went to the next town at 130km. That town didn’t have any service stations so I had to go another 13km. I was ready to eat by that point and it actually worked out nice because it meant it was only a short ride to the rest stop.

My stop was in Defuniak Springs. This is my first real taste of Florida because up until now I have just been staying in super sketchy places. Today I did not feel like making the 5-mile trek to save a few bucks so I made the choice to stay in the historic downtown. I decided to stop in a hotel that was built in the 1920’s and is one of Florida’s top 10 places to stay. It is really nice and cozy, and the people here are really friendly. Really it is a great way to spend an evening. The only thing is because this is a heavily religious part of Florida everything is closed on Sunday. It is actually a little weird because the roads were super quiet, then you would pass a church and it was overflowing with people.

It looks like I may be alabaham tomorrow so here is hoping I don’t receive a gunshot wound within my first 20kms.

So I screwed up. I accidentally delted my ride info before I recorded it so I will give you the stuff I know.
Total Distance: 12862km
Total Ride Time: 597hr
Destination: Defuniak Springs, Florida

1 comment:

  1. Glad to here that you are in a nice place tonight, and enjoying a few creature comforts. I think that you will find that decisions to do things like this will ultimately make your body feel better.
    Stay healthy, strong, happy and safe! We miss you.

    ReplyDelete