Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tour Day 75 Accept Jesus... Or Else Sept 8 2010

Today was going to be a good day. I just had the feeling in my chest, and im pretty sure it was not the morning flem this time.

I got out on the road at 6 am, which is normal now because I bank on 30mins of time wasting changing flats and whatnot. As I started riding I got right into some more wicked hot fog. I am not going to complain though because it was a beautiful morning. No street lights, no cars, and a nice wide shoulder. All I could see with my headlamp was 20 metres in front of me and the wide array of stars in the sky.

As the sun started to rise I rolled past this lone tree in the centre of this field with the sun just peering through the fog and the forest in the background. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. So much so that I stopped on a downhill, which never happens. I then turned around laid my bike down and sat at this fence just watching this for about 3 minutes.

After being a bit of a geek for scenery I was back down the road. About 3km down the road I hear this bark and think nothing of it. I then look around and see this nasty rot wilier chasing me. I run my emergency evasive manoeuvres which involve slowing down to trick the dog to run at my speed then speed up to drop it.

After getting passed this one dog I then ran into another 4 dogs. The last couple ran across the road in front of me so I slowed down to watch then they turned around and ran at me. I got my butt in gear and sprinted past them. Apparently not only do they agree with condoms down here they also don’t agree with leashes… just saying.

On that note at my break stop a car passed me that had something very off putting on it. Among many other slogans it had in bold writing along the sides written “accept god or else”. Or else what? They will come and stone me to death. Or else they will place not one but two bibles in every hotel room.

I am sorry if any of this is off putting to you reading this but these are my views, and what I have experienced down here so far.

After that I just locked in. I was lighting hay bails and taking names with every mile. I simply listened to the beat of the music and locked into a cadence. I managed to finagle my gears into combinations that worked for most of the day.

Another interesting day in the Bible belt. Thank god Florida is next. Just remember accept Jesus or else. I shouldn’t make jokes like that or else. O god I am good at this joking thing. You can tell im a little tired by how ridiculous my jokes are getting.
Trip Distance: 175km
Ride Time: 7:48hr
Avg. Speed: 22.52km/h
Total Distance: 11072km
Total Ride Time: 519hr
Destination: Waycross, Georgia

2 comments:

  1. The 'accept God or else' slogan is classic. I guess the 'or else' includes having stray dogs chase you in the street! Miss you Ev and we are all cheering you on from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ev, I spent some time on the phone this morning and here is some options you may be intrested in,Luke lives in Orlando, his dad/Grizz is now in St.Augustine[one of the oldest cities in the U.S.]and Donna who lives at the top of the Keys.They've all said your more than welcome to dropin. Talk nice and
    Grizz may take you out sailing on his 42 foot boat,that would be a hoot! Donna said if you need some rest time that your more than welcome. I've gave them your email address so keep a eye out for in coming. Change of subject,it looks like fall has arrived early this year,cooled down/cloudy/showers you know the drill. Thats about it, I may go out and work on the car[maybe not] anyhow have fun/be safe. Dad


































    dad

    ReplyDelete