Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tour Day 85 The Good Ol' Boys Sept 18 2010

I forgot I was in the south for the past few days because I have been in fairly touristy parts of Florida. Now that I am getting closer to Alabama I have already had a few things that have left e with more questions then anything else. Case and point last night I was walking back from getting my groceries and at this gas station these two guys had erected there hunting chair (an elevated 20 foot platform with a chair) at the station and were having a discussion about it. All I could understand from the conversation was “well what do we do now”. I just envision them shooting birds over the highway at night.

One other thing that left me with a question mark was at my rest stop today in Perry. I stopped at another gas station for a snack and was shocked by what I saw. It had all the typicals like beer, snacks, and more beer, but half the store was dedicated to fake hair. Adding to this I went to purchase my snack and the guy looks at me and says in a heavy southern accent “I like you shirt”. I immediately looked for the necklace made of teeth. After not seeing one I accepted the compliment and promptly kept riding.

I am going to take a stand on something else. I am ok with you having an old P.O.S. car with huge rims on it, but please keep the seat erect. If it is all the way back it is doing nothing. If you wanted to be a real thug just take the backrest off and simply have the bottom to the chair. I mean really that has to be the next step.

The ride this morning was actually very pleasant I because I had tree lining for the first 4 hours. That meant that the temperature was normal for a change. At point I only had the jersey undone halfway which is a first for Florida.

The road today was not easy for two reasons. The first was the fact that it had large gaps between everything. For example lunch was supposed to be at this one homestead called Capps but it turns out that this place was simply an intersection. Luckily there was a gas station 4 miles down the road that sufficed.

The a.d.d. is kicking in hard here. Have you ever seen Zombie land? Well there is a character called Tallahassee and boy did the writers and casters do an amazing job. I was in this gas station and I felt like I was in the movie. Not only were these guys dead ringers for the cast of the movie, but also they could not stop talking about shooting their bows in the morning, and discussing their cow situation. All this was fine and dandy but what I found funny was the fact that all these manly conversations were going on while he has pictures of what I assume was his daughter in a pink dress surround them. If it wasn’t his daughter then he would be the guy with the tooth necklace.

The other reason the road were not easy is because it was not flat. Which if it were a normal temperature would be fine but at 95 degrees climbing just blows rocks, and with the gaps you cant drink as much as you would like to. This is what led to me getting dehydrated. I can tell when I am on the verge because I get really tired. At points I was playing a dangerous game of shutting my eyes for 2 seconds just to take quick catnaps. I knew that was going to end bad so I just turned my music up and started singing the best of journey and mason Jennings. If you have never heard of mason Jennings look him up he is possible the best folk singer of the past decade.

My rest stop was supposed to be in Tallahassee at a solid 160km. Even better I had no flats so I was in at a normal time, maybe even could catch a nap. Then I found out that a major football game was going on so when I asked for a room I encountered an extremely inflated price. My only choice was to go the 20miles to quicey. Thinking my luck was about to turn I was getting really conscious of my tires. I always felt as if they were going flat, but it was just me over thinking things

When I got to quincy I found out it was a nicer ghetto so I had the choice of the motel that was a house converted over, or the motel with grass growing out of the driveway. I decided on the house and it was a bad choice. My room though cheap is constructed entirely of wood, and the ac is broken. So I am in a sauna is what it build down to in this heat and humidity. Needless to say my ice cream is going to taste awesome.
Trip Distance: 201km
Ride Time: 8:59hr
Avg. Speed: 22.42km/h
Total Distance: 12693km
Total Ride Time: 590hr
Destination: Quincy, Florida

1 comment:

  1. Hallowe'en is comin' up and I think it will be the year of the tooth necklace costume for everyone on Nile Gate.

    ReplyDelete