Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tour Day 88 I Was Wrong Sept 21 2010

I was thinking about Alabama last night. I was thinking how wrong I was about it. I mean instead of guns and bullets I encountered some of the nicest people I have met yet. That same incorrect thinking transferred over to today. When I thought of a big city in Alabama I had visions of horse drawn carriages and a lot of “y’alls”. When I got within 5 miles of Mobile and saw these beautiful sky scrappers that dominated the landscape as you rode over an extended bridge, or through grass that was taller then you. After this I rode past the battleship u.s.s. Alabama. It was a wow moment when you go past a gun that is 100metres long.

Things were going smooth. I was going along route 90, which was going to take me around the outskirts of mobile. Well that plan came to a screeching halt when route 90 hit the interstate in the worst neighbourhood in mobile (right outside of the shipyard). I only had one option and that was go down this road that took me right into this suburb because I was not backtracking then 5miles and restarting. Now I was not sure of my choice so I decided to ask the first person I saw. This person turned around when I started the conversation and I was facing down a guy with two tear tattoos I was a little intimidated. What took my anxiety away was the fact he was with his 5 year old son, so I was fairly confident he would not destroy me like the mangled dog I saw 2 blocks back. This dog was just messed. I can deal with flat but this was mangled.

After getting little to no help with directions I decided to start a search pattern for the road. I knew I had to go southwest so I just started going 1 block south 2 blocks west. Low and behold I found the road and was good to go on my way to Mississippi.

My first 14 miles in Mississippi left me wondering why people lived there. The reason I say that is because the roads were complete trash. The driving surface was fine because it was repaved after the hurricane but they left the should untouched. So it was ride on the highway or get the pee shaken out of me.

So after getting shaken to bits I hit something that really surprised me. Water. Mile after mile of beautiful beached. Marinas every 10 miles and just a generally good vibe. It is amazing how peoples driving habits change depending on where you are. Beaches are calm. Bridges are crazy. Rain people turn their brains off. And heat I turn my brain off

Lets talk about heat. We are over day 13 94-degree heat or over. I can not wait for a day where it is even 80.

Lunchtime came after stopping to watch a few shrimping boats pass by a team cleaning up from the oil spill. It was an odd mix of emotions. On one hand I felt like forest gump, and the other I felt like helping I the efforts of the clean up… or just rent a jet ski. Ill be honest I was seriously considering leaving the bike and renting a jet ski. Lunch came with my flat of the day as well. Today’s flat was not from the road but rather the tube itself. Faulty manufacturing meant that the tube split in half a lot like the tire I bought a week ago.

I have no complaints today. I am so lucky to me able to ride these roads along easily the most beautiful coast I have seen yet. On that note I have been doing some thinking. With New Orleans only 50 miles away what is my next step. The next step is Austin Texas and mellow johnnies bike shop (lance armstongs store). This is going to be the first stop where I am have to do some serious thinking. The bike is having issues with the hubs having play now. The luck isn’t changing. And the weather is supposed to change for the worst within a week. We will see.
Trip Distance: 187km
Ride Time: 8:04hr
Avg. Speed: 23.14km/h
Total Distance: 13250km
Total Ride Time: 614hr
Destination: Bay St. Louise, Mississippi

No comments:

Post a Comment