Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tour Day 15 Last Night In Sask July 9 2010

I am tired, sweaty, and sitting in a tent naked how do you think the day went?

The morning started early with mom saying goodbye and leaving at around 5am. But I was not to worried because I did not get much sleep in the night before. It was something about that bed that just rubbed me the wrong way. I slept one way it hurt my one shoulder. I slept the other it would hurt the other shoulder. Now I have no Idea why but it got to the point where I took a Tylenol, which for those who know me know that that means I was in a bit of pain.

Once I got up I stuffed myself with another complimentary breakfast and left to meet up with Charles and Olivier at the travel lodge. After we put some air in our tires we ere off like rockets thinking that today was going to be a nice easy 130km day. Immediately I realize today was not going to be easy because the first 30k we were dealing with a headwind that would not let up. We all took our pulls and hammered it out thinking that once we got to Indian head that we would be cruising with the wind at our backs.

Well once we got to Indian head we had a quick bite to eat and left with a nice crosswind now. At this point I could feel something weird in my knee almost as if it was floating when I pedaled a certain way. Right then I knew that the muscle I pulled was starting to act up again. 30k later I tried standing up and was met with a nice pain. I decided then that the rest of the ride I was going to sit down and just power it out.

Luckily Charles and Olivier were not feeling so hot as well. Olivier’s leg was a little sore and Charles butt was killing him. This meant more frequent stops. Which meant some time to rest, massage, and get some cold liquids in me.

When I saw the 1k to go to Whitewood our destination point for the day I was so relived because the day was now pushing 180km’s. We took a look at the campsite and it was over priced, mosquito infested, and the bathrooms were out of order. We decided to eat dinner and think about what to do. Over dinner we decided to push on to Moosmin. Another 50k but probably worth it. The sun was at our backs and we had archies special pizza inside of us so we were trucking down the road at roughly the pace of a snail. The whole time I was thinking I could be in an air-conditioned house drinking ice-cold water. Instead I am on a bike crawling with mosquitoes (no joke you have to keep moving or else you will regret it).

The sun was setting and we had no other option but to pull into so super small town called Wapella where a nice lady met us called Marie. She understood our situation and kindly let us use the school grounds as our site for the night. I have to say though the only thing that got me to this point in the day was knowing I had 2 Tim Horton’s muffins, and a donut in my back bag waiting for me. So for helping me get through the day I have to thank Dr. D, my mom, and Kristi who I called while riding and while a train was passing telling her to post that we are burning the midnight oils on the bike. Remember if life is worth living its worth recording.
Trip Distance: 213.81km
Ride Time: 8:28hr
Avg. Speed: 25.20km/h
Total Distance: 2156km
Total Ride Time: 102hr
Destination: Wapella, Saskatchewan

No comments:

Post a Comment