Friday, July 2, 2010

Tour Day 8 Alberta Bound July 2 2010

Know I am a man of logic so I understand that the world needs time zones, but I must admit they suck. We woke up this morning thinking we had some time it kill when really we were in fact running late. To catch up we decided to pack everything up and skip making breakfast and go to a local dinner. Now let me tell you those greasy sausages felt good going down but not as good 50k into the ride.

The ride today was slow to say the least. Not only was the terrain not conducive to fast speed but also my butt was not as well. To put it in prospective it felt like someone had kicked me with a boot then I had to sit on said boot for close to 7 hours. The only way that I found relief was by arching my back like a cat spitting up fur and putting my whole bodies weight on my spine. I hear that’s the best biking posture. I don’t regret going all out for the cause yesterday but I will admit I should have cut back the effort a little.

Speaking of yesterday it was Canada day. And with Canada say come fires works. Little did we know the golden fire works were being set off 50meters away from our tents. I don’t know how they slept through it but I woke up in an awesome mood because of it. Sleep has been odd for me so far. I am sleeping great it is just the dreams that I am having that are really odd. Here are two examples. One I hear a knock at the door and I say, “I will be there in a minute” I open a door to the main hallway and I see Jehovah witnesses standing in my house. I say, “Get out of my house I did not invite you in”. I then call the cops and nothing happens just like in real life. The next I was a gasman on a dirt track racecars team. The whole dream I did not use the gas can I just held it and watched the cars go around. I am finding it weird that my dreams are being scene to completion and not being cut off like they usually are. Maybe it is the fresh air.

Back to today’s ride. When we stopped for lunch at field I ate the grossest sandwich that you can imagine. You take this thing out of a fridge then open the package then heat it up. So many red flags but I was hungry and simply did not care. After a nice lunch we hit the last climb (so we thought) of the day. Hitting 1600m of elevation in short and a small jacket it started to pour. So I pull out all my rain gear and almost on cue again it stops raining. As a note to self uptown girl by billy joel is the worst song in the world to listen to when climbing up a steep never-ending hill.

When we eventually got to lake Louise we wanted to se the lake itself so we went for it. The road to the lake in nothing less then brutal. It is about a 15% grade, windy, and busy with traffic. I was in my lowest gear grinding it out when I thought it might be cheeky to wave at a passing tour bus… wrong move. I nearly ran into the bus and looked like a complete fool. This is when it started to pour again so out comes all the rain gear again. The lake was pretty but I am sure would look better in good lighting.

Anyways we are tired and sore so we are camping at the lakes campsite where for the second night in a row even when it says full they have made space for us simple bike tourists. Remember if life is worth living it is worth recording.
Trip Distance: 96.67km
Ride Time: 6:33hr
Avg. Speed: 14.76km/hr
Total Distance: 948km
Total Ride Time: 53:52hr
Destination: Lake Louise, Alberta

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ev. Congrats on making it through the mountains, hell of an accomplishment! email me or call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Ev , Marks laughting at how slow I type.I,m trying this all on my own!Dad.

    ReplyDelete