Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tour Day 26 The Radio Sounds Like A good Choice July 20 2010

Last night I had a bit of a rough sleep because we were so close to the highway. It seemed like every time I was about to bonk a huge semi would pass riding its air brake down the hill. Eventually however I did manage to get a little bit of rest.

The morning we were greeted by what else but some more hills. Usually I don’t plug in my ipod till after lunch but today was another day when I needed music all day. I decided to change it up though and listen to the radio. Now here in the depths of northern Ontario the only station that comes in clear is the soft rock station. I swear that every song had at least on e sax solo in it and was required to talk about love at one point. I had to chuckle to myself while climbing to rod stewarts classic if you want my body. As well I think it was the first time since the late 90’s that I have heard shaggy played on the radio.

About the only song that was not soft rock was one that reminded me of home again. Adam lamberts hit (I forget what its called). The week before I left on the trip Cody and I headed up to ride whistler on our mountain bikes. For some reason I am not too sure of that became the theme song for said trip. One thing I find a little finny is that a few of the cuts I got from that trip are still healing, because my body is so focused on muscle recovery it is not working as hard on the healing.

One other thing that I learned and will pass it along because it is now engrained in my head they played the add so much. Kenny Loggins is coming to the Thunder Bay community centre. So if you ever wanted to experience the danger zone this is the time.

Now you might ask why did I not just go to my own music. I would put a question mark but I have done something to my computer so it comes up as a French É. Well the reason is that I am very stubborn. I made a deal with myself that I would listen to it till lunch. If I cant make it through crummy music for half a day how can I possibly finish a bike tour.

Well lunch could not come fast enough, and it just so happened to be in a town called Marathon. Getting to marathon you get off the highway and go down a 4k descent, which was awesome after doing 80k of climbing already. Well once we got our groceries and found out that the only restaurant in town was one that had 0 windows we were forced to eat hot dogs, but at least the proceeds went to the food bank. So we made that decent for no name pasta and hot dogs. Needless to say it was a bad choice.

On the plus side we were rewarded for our hard work with an awesome final 80k. The roads started to level out a little (still enough hills to make it fun). And for some reason the traffic seemed to disappear. All the way to Marathon we were fighting for space but afterward we were able to have the road to ourselves for minutes at a time. Even better the last 20k was brand new pavement. It didn’t even have road lines on it yet. This is when the 4 hotdogs for me started to kick in.

I was pulling hard the entire way into our second rest stop just outside of white lake. Sweat was pouring off of my face, and my arms were thoroughly lubricated when this motel showed up in the distance. It had a trailed out front that said restaurant, which was perfect because we were all feeling very lazy today and that, is just what we needed. Dinner was HUGE. It was the first time I have seen Charles not clear a plate. It was delicious as well which always helps.

I went for something lighter thinking we still had some riding left. For once I was thinking right. The road down to the campsite was amazing. It was this super narrow road that was super twisty it little birmed up hills that where there for seemingly no reason. The only thought in my head now is that if it was that fun to come down it is probably going to suck going up tomorrow.
Trip Distance: 156km
Ride Time: 7:33hr
Avg. Speed: 20.71km
Total Distance: 3708km
Total Ride Time: 172hr
Destination: White Lake, Ontario

Thank go. It took me 40 minutes but I managed to get my word back to normal ?’s and all. It is an amazing thing that I managed to hit 3 keys at the exact right time to change it beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment