Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tour Day 19 Manitoba Wants Us To Stay July 13 2010

I think I may be missing a page in the Manitoba handbook because 2 days ago we saw 2 Bradley tanks rolling down the road on flatbeds, the next day we saw 2 military helicopters buzzing around together, and then today we saw another armoured troop carrier on a flatbed. Now the boy in me loves seeing this because I have always considered the military as a career option. As well as a Canadian I like seeing it because as lame as it may sound it is nice to know that I am somewhat protected.

Now although I like Manitoba it seems to like me even more. I though the last two days were bad for wind well today was even worse. It was actually comedic at points because for hours we had a 40km/h head wind that was causing us to go slower then the speed of smell.

The scenery is also changing. We are now in on e of Manitoba’s provincial parks and we are surround by trees again. It reminds me a lot of BC sans the mountains. One of the coolest things that happened today was I actually pet a deer. This thing was massive. It was roughly the size of a cow with huge I guess they would be called antlers. Now in retrospect it probably was not smart to touch a wild animal but I think everyone does the same thing when they see an animal they go “oooo something new lets touch it”.

Our last night in Manitoba is actually a very pleasant one we got up early and got I into our campsite at good time so I actually got some time to be vacation Evan. Not just cyclist Evan. Sitting on the beach was kind of an odd experience because I could not help but think about all the other things that needed to get done.

Well all the others things did get done as well. I managed to wash my tent, charge everything that needed charging, get showered, and clean out the base of my tent. Clean being the operative word as I sit once again in a bathroom blogging. This one is even more special because the ducts in it are getting cleaned and as we speak I am getting dust and who knows what else rained down upon me in a fine mist. I am pretty sure it is good to be breathing in this stuff.

On another note this is going to be a bit of a rant. How is every camper on the road perfectly clean? I mean every one we have seen does not have a spec of dirt on it. The car may be dirty but the RV is clean. As well how is possible that you can drive this thing as big as a bus and tow a car behind it on a class 5 license? Is that even camping? I think as soon as the equipment is larger then the vehicle that carries the equipment that is not longer camping.

Another rant I have is signs. So many of them are missing letters, and most don’t even inform you of anything. If you are going to pay for a billboard keep it up. No kidding today I saw one with 5 letters on 2 lines of script I was left wondering what this person wanted. As well make you sign informative or funny. I saw this sign back in Kelowna that has stuck with me because I have been trying to figure it out. It read “man who runs in front of car gets tired” with a phone number under it.

Anyways I am going to hit the sack early tonight my dinner is settling in nice and is making me just want to huddle up with a nice book. It’s something about uncle bens Chinese rice, and baked beans that just does it to me.
Trip Distance: 122km
Ride Time: 6:40hr
Avg. Speed: 18.42km/h
Total Distance: 2734km
Total Ride Time: 129hr
Destination: Falcon Lake, Manitoba

1 comment:

  1. Have a safe and wonderful ride in Ontario. the east coast is within reach now...and the 3 of you have covered amazing distance in under 3 weeks! We miss you and look forward to your blog, calls and Facebook messages. Cheers Ev.

    ReplyDelete