Friday, July 16, 2010

Tour Day 21 Welcome to Swift Current Again? July 15 2010

Well I must say any night that you can sit on a dock with your feet in the water and dinner in hand while you watch the sun go down is a good day. When I woke up I was kind of sad to leave Kenora because I think to date it is the most beautiful place we have stayed. My only complaint is our campsite however beautiful it was, was on a wicked slope so going to sleep I felt like one of the cone heads that sleep completely upright.

When we got on the road I realized that my legs felt pretty good which was really fortunate for me because all of today I think we had about 3k of flat. Now you wont here me complain because these roads for the most part were a bikers dream. Constant up and down hills that were just big enough to force you to decided whether to relax of push to top it faster to keep you average speed up.

It was not all nice smooth pavement though. When we were leaving kenora we ran into an 8-kilometre stretch that was all gravel because the entire road had been torn up. It felt as if we were in a cycolcross race we were slipping and sliding so much. I could not stop smiling though because I like being right on the edge of control like that. In the dirt we saw the tracks of what looked like another bike and trailer. After talking about it Olivier and I decided to push hard to catch the person ahead of us. We saw a walker and asked how far ahead they were? They said I saw him a long time back, but that did not stop us.

15 minutes later we caught up to our old friend from in town yesterday who Charles and Olivier are quite fond of. I quickly realized why. Lauren is a very funny guy who does not take life to serious. His little bit of English either does not make sense or cracks me up. So even when I does not make sense it usually makes me laugh because I know something was lost in translation.

One thing about bike touring that you learn is that you never know what is around that next corner. Today’s biggest surprise came just around one of those corners about 20k before our pit stop in vermilion bay. We were riding Olivier was leading and I was trying to keep his wheel when out of the bush fly 8 HUGE eagles all together. It was an amazing sight to see. I have no idea what they were all doing together but to be honest I didn’t care because it was just such a sight to see.

By kilometre 95 we were ready for lunch, and o my was it good. We stopped at the best lunch spot to date. It was called dusters barbeque and initially I was sceptical because the prices seemed fairly high for a sandwich. Well the 20 or so awards on the wall for there barbeque sauce from events around the world did not let down. The sandwich was a piece of prime rib on a bun with simply the sauce. But trust me that all it needed. I also opted for the yam fries with the same sauce and my mouth was in heaven. So much so that after one helping even though I was borderline full I decided to order another complete helping.

Getting on the bike I must say was a little rough because I had an awful lot of fries and beef inside my belly and I could feel it settling as I rode down the road. One of the highlight I would have to say is about every 10k I would either have to burp or fart and you felt about 100000 times better after each of those. The burps were the best because then I got to taste that delicious bbq sauce again. Gross I know but I a simple man that enjoys the simply things in life. If regurgitating food and eating it is one of those things so be it.

Well that brings us to Dryden the home of one of Chris progner. My entail impression… “O no another swift current”. The reason I thought that was because when you turn the corner all you see is a huge pulp mill spewing god knows what out of its smoke stacks. Well it was our rest stop so we had to make do and hit up the local information centre where I think possibly the only emo girl in northern Ontario works. It was defiantly a change from the usually little old lady that run most of them.

After getting our directions we settled into our camp where I am pretty sure the older Swiss one tried to pull a fast one on us because he though we all did not speak English. I quickly piped up and said $17.50 per person for a tent site that bull lets get out of here. Very quickly that price came down to $10, which we were happy with. Anyways my laundry is just about dry and I must go cook dinner. Night.
Trip Distance: 141km
Ride Time: 5:47hr
Avg. Speed: 24.43km/h
Total Distance: 2954km
Total Ride Time: 138hr
Destination: Dryden, Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment