Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tour Day 33 Another Hot Day July 27 2010

Last night I had the rest of my maps for Canada open while Charles was helping me plan the rest of the trip. Thank god I found Charles because he gave me so many hints and tips that were so helpful. As well I found out that I am only half way done the Canada leg of the trip. I could shorten it up but I want to see the Cabot trail, and go to France, which will take a little bit more time. Massa our Japanese bike tourist friend and Charles seemed to hit it off really well. It was kind of funny overhearing their conversation because it consisted of a mix of Japanese, French, and English.

Today was another morning where we got to wake up to dry tents and an easy morning take down. Again the only negative was the fact all you could see were clear skies. Over hearing the radio I heard the news that it was going to get up to 35 which was not good news.

Hearing the weather report changed the way that I approached riding today. It was all about saving energy and drinking a ton of water. In total today I went through 8 litres of water, and even had a Gatorade, which was a first for the trip. I am sorry but anything that is lime green cannot be good for me no matter what the label looks like.

Well the weatherman did not lie. By 10 am it was getting warm enough for sweat to be dripping off of my beard and moustache. I can officially say I have a moustache because I got cookie crumbs stuck in it this morning.

The terrain was up and down as well which was not helping the situation at all. Fortunately my legs were feeling really good so I was at the front of the back pulling up most of them.

I know today’s blog is kind of all over the map so I apologize. I have been thinking about all the weird things we have seen in Ontario because we are going to be leaving tomorrow afternoon. The forest was cammo painted boats. Who are you hiding from? And last time I checked water is blue not army green. As well we passed a few cemeteries today that were really odd. One had “Jesus saves” sign right above it, which I found nice and ironic, and the other had an all day breakfast restaurant in it. The final thing that I have been thinking about are all of these truck stop and campsites that offer gifts. If I showed up to a relative’s house at Christmas with a truck stock gift they would not be the least bit impressed.

The day was pretty long because we broke up our riding. So instead of cooking we stopped at a local bbq Cobden. I order the spice wrap, which I thought nothing of because I usually like spicy things. I then sit down and see an in house hot sauce which sent up a red flag because that usually means it’s really hot. Well I get my wrap and it felt as it my tongue was going to get burned out of my mouth. I drank three glasses of water and it was still stinging. Me being me I refused to throw it out and managed to choke down 75% of it. The lady at the till looked over and said, “Hot isn’t it” when she saw that I was sweating from the heat.

The heat has prompted me to change something. I was at the pharamsave and decided to take the plunge for a new hair clipper set. The $17 was so worth it. Cutting all of the hair from my head beard and nipples felt awesome. It also revealed the horrid tan lines that have been brewing. It is worth it though now I can maximize my cookie intake without loosing any to the beard.

Anyways I have to jet the store im hijacking power from is about to close so enjoy your night.
Trip Distance: 157km
Ride Time: 7:09hr
Avg. Speed: 22.01km/h
Total Distance: 4822km
Total Ride Time: 223hr
Destination: Cobden, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment