Monday, October 18, 2010

Back To Semi-Normal Life Oct 17 2010

It is strange for me to be reflecting back on when I got into YVR because it seems like so long ago. When really it was only 27 hours ago.

When my flight landed I had to wait to get my bags after literally walking through customs. It was a lot easier flying then it was shipping my stuff home from Austin, and about the same price as well. When I came around the corner to find my box wide open I had a mini panic attack but it looked as if everything was there so I loaded it on my cart and walked right out the Dorr. But only after taking about every single pole because my load was so wide.

Once out the doors I saw a large group of people and banners. It was an odd thing to see because I was anticipating simply saying hello and getting on the way. But this kicked way more butt. It was really nice seeing everyone for the first time. The only problem was I did not know how to react. Should I be yelling and cheering, crying, or play it cool. I decided that keeping calm would be my best bet. After exchanging a few hugs per person and telling a few stories people started to disperse which was my cue to get out of the terminal, which I might add is about 10000000% better then LAX. With what can only be described as an entourage behind me a man said, “He must be important”. I said in response “I am as important as I look”. A cocky statement but a well-deserved one I think.

Within an hour there I was laying in my own bed, which felt strangely foreign. I thought I had new sheets, but no. I thought my room had been painted, but no. It was all just new to me.

Without an alarm to wake me I got to arise to the smell of pancakes. When you don’t have an alarm trust you gut to wake you. Once I had some food in my stomach I was ready to tackle the easy task of unpacking. Unpacking of my single luggage bag then led to going through my closet and purging clothing for Big Brothers, which led to going through every drawer to reorganize, which led to fixing my desktop computer, which then led to recycling some old bicycle parts in the garage, and of course laundry. Needless to say I had a full plate of thing to do and it still isn’t completed.

My clean room now looked like a bomb went off and when mom came by she looked horrified. I said I kept getting side tracked and getting 50% of one job done then moving on. Eventually though I did mange to get everything cleaned and organized the way I like. No flowers or candles anywhere like there was when I showed up.

It was a success to because the only thing missing was my fairly empty wallet. So I asked if I could get a ride to the mall to find another one. Happily she obliged and we set off to the mall, but first a stop in at Westwood cycle to warranty my camelback that was leaking.

When we got back of course I continued to search through things, and of course I found my old wallet. So now tomorrows task is to return the new one because I am cheap… even though it was a gift.

Just like that the phone blew up. People wanted to see me and get ahold of me. So I had a choice of plans hang out with various groups of old friends or form a bond with new people. I decided on the ladder to expand my horizons. After chilling out for an evening I was on my way back home. I have been rushing for 4 months straight and tonight on my long board sesh home was the first time I had a genuine moment of peace where I thought about nothing. It was just about pushing, a dead road, and pumping back and forth at 1am. I could not think of a better welcome home then the combination that was but together today.

Yesterdays blog is on my laptop and will be uploaded tomorrow when it is unpacked and up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment