Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tour Day 106 The End Oct 10 2010

Last night I was down in the dumps because in all honesty I did not feel like I had accomplished all that much. Now I usually pack my life up at night and get on the road early in the morning but for some reason I decided to sleep in this morning and unpack a few of my things and check my emails. When I checked my blog I was quickly brought down to earth by the amazing people who are in my life. It really meant a lot to wake up t have people assuring me that I was doing the right thing.

Now as much as having other people say it was the right thing I still was not convinced myself. So I left with thoughts of the future in my head. Right after passing angles stadium I got onto the Santa Anna bike path. This bike path was crazy full with cyclists. Now me being hyper competitive I would not let people pass me without a fight. This would be all fine and dandy if I did not get into a pissing match with a hyper distance racer. George of georgesepicadventures.com is a pretty amazing guy. He has completed the R.A.A.M. and multiple 500-mile races. When I asked jokingly if he wanted to trade bike he confronted me with a very serious “yes”. We were at two different stages of our cycling careers. He wants to tour long and slow. I want to race long and fast. I do not think it is a coincidence that I met this man on the last day of my ride.

It is also is not a coincidence that 5 kilometres down the road I ran into a man with bags strapped to his bike. After catching up to this guy I asked him where we has going, and he said just around the block for a day to shake out his gear. This man is thinking of doing a long distance tour of America so I offered him what little advice I had. I almost felt as if this was a symbolic passing of the torch.

After talking for a while I promptly missed all of my turns that I had planned out, but fortunately my new route took me right along the water for my symbolic wheel dunking. When I got to Laguna Beach I decided that this was going to be the finishing point. So after struggling to get my bike down the white sandy beach and answering multiple questions I found the most beautiful woman on the beach and approached he asking if I could get my picture taken of the wheel dipping. Even better Stephanie just so happened to be a very good photographer and managed to take a few very good photos that made me look like the stud that I am.

After that I was back on the road and I had the task of trying to find a house that I had not been to since I was 9 years old. I had directions but me being stubborn I was dead set on finding it by gut. This actually got me pretty close but I did need the directions for the last stretch.

Well 66km later I am here. With family enjoying having company for a change. It is nice having someone around for more then a couple hours. After getting a good nap in today I am ready to go jet skiing tomorrow.

Well thanks to everyone for reading I will still be posting my daily journal but I will no longer have stories of running into strangers in the desert, or endless flats. The blog will be more about the day-to-day life of a normal 18-year-old boy.
Trip Distance: 66km
Ride Time: 2:53hr
Avg. Speed: 22.76km/h
Total Distance: 15777km
Total Ride Time: 731hr
Destination: Laguna Hills, California

3 comments:

  1. Suck up that life in sunny Cali. Bikinis are way more fun than the rain jackets and gumboots that you will witness here. Take some time...smell the roses ....and return when ready.
    ( So glad I got to talk to you tonight for the first time since Nfld )
    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Ev, What an acomplishment!You have proved dreams can be acheived if you set your mind to it, you overcame all obsticles and fulfilled that dream. You are the Man with a very bright future ahead.

    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great adventure Evan. You are making me home sick I grew up riding the Santa Ana riverbed bike trail to Huntington Beach every day of every summer of my youth.
    Congratulations on your fantastic accoplishment!
    Dj

    ReplyDelete