Monday, October 11, 2010

Is That Yours? Oct 11 2010

I woke up this morning and my butt was sore. I don’t know how a padded seat on a jet ski hurt my butt more then a leather saddle but it sure did. If I were to make a bet it would be from hitting the wakes at 40mph.

The simple things that change are sometimes the most refreshing. Today for example I got the chance to take a shower in the morning instead of having to take one after the ride and before I go to sleep. It really sets you up right for the day.

Today I got my chore out the way early. Today I had to get my bike boxed up so the first task was to find a shop. Next was to see how far away it was because once I got rid of my bike I had to walk back. Well turns out the closest shop was 3.5 miles away so that meant a 3.5 mile walk back in sandals.

When I arrived I was surprised because the shop actually looked very nice, but the brands they carried were extremely odd. Half the floor was dedicated to 24 inch bmx bikes then the other half was dominated by b rated carbon road bikes. This was no problem though because I got the chance to try out many brands of helmets to see which I want to invest in when I get back because my atmos is falling apart. Turns out the Giro is the most comfortable with the Lazer helmet coming a close second.

After leaving almost immediately I felt blisters starting to form on my feet so I stripped my sandals off and continued on bare foot. A 3-mile walk barefoot on the warm pavement of California turned out to be a very… freeing experience. For .000001 second I contemplated walking across Canada barefoot as the next big task. Then I thought if I were to do that how mangled my feet would be for life.

When I got back I immediately soaked my feet because they were mangled. I have to say any time that I am extremely dirty it is so rewarding to watch that sick mess wash down the drain. But I was not still for long because Babs stormed in and said we were going to lunch on the beach.

After a short ride there we were in a state park along the old bungalows of the beach. Snuggled in these bungalows is a little place called the beachcomber? It had a beautiful view of the ocean that was unbeatable so I thought it fitting to order the fish and chips. While we were waiting we wanted to open up the glass slat board window. I tried and promptly gave up because it was not working. Babs then tries to jimmy it and one of the 2 foot glass panels falls on the table and makes a huge sound. Everyone looks at us with this strange look on their faces and we have nothing to say. Instead of speaking we both just burst out laughing, to the point that babs was actually crying. Then to top it all off out server (who was extremely weird) comes over and asks, “Is that yours” as she pointed to the glass plate on the table. That was easily the highlight of the lunch.

Again once we got back we were not still for long as babs had planned for me to go to a kickboxing class with her. I was a little hesitant at first thinking it was going to be all middle-aged women and I would be the only young guy there. But when we came up on LA Boxing I was surprised when I saw everything from professional fighters, to elderly people, to young girls. It was a killer workout. Almost latterly because I opened up the scar tissue on my knee so I was bleeding all over the place, and my feet blisters I could feel getting worse. It was so much fun though throwing punches, knees, and getting a good amount of leg kicks in. Once I finished the workout I was a sweaty mess that was sore as heck. I am so used to riding that incorporating core, and upper body into a workout really shows my weaknesses. Only once I was back home did I realize that I bruised both of my shins. I guess my legs kick hard but my shins are not used to the abuse. Still I would say it was worth it and I would defiantly go back.

I could think of no better way to end a solid day then watching some dancing with the d list and eating some tacos.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you and Babs should have your own reality show....I am working on a title for it.

    ReplyDelete