Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Best Way To Die Is On A Jetski

Waking up to the smell of something other then your own farts is sure something different. Eating something other then oatmeal in the morning is sure something different. Living a semi normal life is sure something different.

I have to say though I am a little bit in culture shock. I am so used to being by myself and on my own schedule that making plans with other people is for lack of a better term weird. Trying to make 6 peoples schedules work to go jet skiing was a task as large as riding a bike 100 miles, possibly 150 when 4 of the 6 people were women.

Anastasia (babs and Richs daughter who I am stay with) brought over 3 of her friends. This is the first time I have been around people my age in 4 months. Now in general I have always felt like an outsider just because I look at things a little bit differently, but today that was made even more apparent to me. I mean I was still having conversations with them and trying to be social but I am as it stands right now socially retarded. All I can talk about is the ride, and all I think about is the ride. I can still come up with the odd saucy comment but it just is not as easy as it once was.

When we all made our way down to the beach I asked if we should have brought wetsuits to which drew (one of the friends) said, “wetsuits are for Canadian waters”. Drew was quite a character. He is the type of person that you would use his name as an adjective. At one point of the ride home he says to babs “pull over I think I am going to throw up”. Which he did, but no one seemed surprised so I think you could call that situation a drew.

Once in the water on the Jet Ski m nerves were going because I did not know what to expect. When I first grabbed the throttle it almost threw abs and me off the ski because it was so responsive. Now I am a guy and you give me the sea equivalent of a sports car im going to go all out. After hitting 54mph on the water, and doing some wicked awesome turns I was feeling confident so I handed over the controls to babs who took it a little easier then me. When we switched back I hit the gas made a sharp turn right into a wake doing about 34mph, which then flung both of us into the air doing 360’s in the air. I hit the water headfirst and babs hit her head on something because her head was swollen immediately. We were only 20 mins in and already had a near death experience, that’s how you can tell it is going to be a good day.

Now we all live busy lives so I really appreciate these people taking some time out of there’s to make one of mine come true. That being said everyone split off pretty quick so that left babs and I to have a quick nap and go out for a drive around. She showed me all the beaches and even took me for a stroll along the Huntington Beach pier, as the sun set it was really awesome. It was nice to see happy people everyone holding hands and hugging as the sun set all while a homeless man played bad renditions of bob Dillon songs.

By this time I was getting tired because it was past my 7pm bedtime so we ended up going out to dinner. Even better one of the friends from earlier in the day decided to come. I cant even remember what the conversations were about but that is half the fun in getting to know new people… even though I think they think I am extremely weird. Even I think I am a little weird, I mean once I got rid of my food today all of my stuff fit into 3 bags comfortably. It is strange to think I lived off that for so long.

2 comments:

  1. Send for Olivier. He would love California, and you could show him a little of the West Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the most amazing experience I have ever had on water; not only because of the variety of sports they can accommodate, but also because the coaches were just so nice....
    JetSki Tours

    ReplyDelete