Thursday, October 14, 2010

Surfing. No I Will Take Target Oct 14 2010

Im so used to crazy days that when I went to sleep at midnight I felt obligated to wake up at 7-8 am just to make the most out of the day. So instinct told me to set my alarm and brace myself for the rude awakening that laid ahead.

When I arose eyes weeping from the harsh awakening but in a way I was glad because now I had all day to do… well nothing. And nothing I did. I spent the first 2 hours flipping through the L.A. times and various other papers that rich gets delivered. As a journalist he loves to read rather then watch the news, which I can appreciate.

After getting myself familiar with the world around me and getting some cheerio’s in my stomach I was set for the day. What was on the docket for the day you ask? Surfing. I figure no California trip would be complete without carving a few waves and showing off my wicked farmers tan. This was just a plan though and we all know how plans in my world go. It fell through. Even though the surf was good the overall weather was just not very friendly for catching as rich says “flows”. What are “flows” I can not tell you, all I know is that you want them and when you don’t have them its not a good time.

Instead after getting a quick nap in I went to go have my first target experience pronounced tar-get all French and stuff. Remember we are in Orange County here its high class. I do not know how I would give staters (the local supermarket) that same treatment.

On the way to target we listened to the grateful dead station. Which prompted a series of questions because I knew Rich was a dead head. Did they really make that many albums that they deserve a station? What was a concert like? How did one become a dead head? And so on and so forth. The music itself is not anything special in my opinion but I like it more now knowing a bit of the background behind the band. The fact that they were the number one grossing band as said by rolling stone 14 years running really tells you that it was a culture. Once at target I had to find myself a piece of luggage because there is no way that airline is going to rip me for having more baggage. I found this expandable item and made an impulse buy thinking everything would fit. Well when I stuffed everything back in wouldn’t you know it. I was right. Its tighter then a (if you know me you now then end to this statement) but it works. I did have to trim some things out so unfortunate I can not bring my old ball cream home, or my bungee cords. I can just imagine Anastasia walking into the bathroom and looking in the garbage and seeing this strange assortment of things and wonder “what happened while I was gone”?

That whole packing thing really took it out of me so I took another nap. This time I arouse and decided to go for a walk. Walking is actually an enjoyable thing when you can bend at the knees and are not barefoot on a sidewalk.

Walking aside it was time for dinner and I have to say Rich amazes me. Not only did he cook the best meal I have tasted in a long time he is a wealth of knowledge. Now I wont say this is just rich because it is a statement for people in general they amaze me. For example Babs and I were talking about some old fortune magazines from the 30’s that she was bringing over and talked of bullfighting. Without hesitation rich says that was written by earnest Hemmingway. Low and behold with that magazine in front of me it tells me it was infact written by Hemmingway. These sorts of facts just kept flowing out like a waterfall. The person who is educating me about “flows” is also giving me a history lesson. This is a crazy world.

Now while writing this blog I was chatting with an old friend lilian and she said we would have to meet and talk about the trip when I got back. I said sure whenever you can fit me in. To which she responded “well I assume you are very busy as well”. It was at that point that a switched clicked and I wrote something that just flowed.

I have learned that you can always find time for the people you care about. Things. Meetings. All that just stuff can be redone or changed, but when I was having my worst days on the road in a tent crying on an inflatable matt my friends were there for me. Whether it was a message, a voice, or just something that reminded me of that person I had those memories and people to fall back on. It was at those moments i thanked heaven i spent every second i could with them even if it ment changing some plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment