Saturday, October 23, 2010

Christina Lake... What A Memory Oct 21 2010

With my passport dry after going through the washing machine today was the day. Today was the day I get my motorcycle license. I got on my bike and went to the road test centre and got one of the books and raced home. Once home I put that book on the desk and promptly got distracted by everything else around me. I thought to myself ill just read it tonight and take the test tomorrow. I then looked at the weather network and saw rain for the next 4 days. For some reason that triggered me to get on my bike and go back to take the test right then.

At the centre I realized that I forgot 2 pieces of id so I had to go back and get my passport. On the way back I started to question what I was doing. The biggest question on my mind was “what if I pass”? When I stormed into the office and grabbed my passport I was surprised when I did not receive 20 questions about why I needed it.

Now back at the Centre I paid my dues and stood looking at a screen. A screen that determined whether I was fit on the road or not. Things did not start off well when I promptly go the first question wrong. After that things quickly improved. Really everything seemed like common sense as a crummy car driver, and a good cyclist. In order to pass you were able to get 8 of the 40 questions wrong, which I found amazing. Shouldn’t we be making sure people know most things about the road and not some of it.

Well I passed and was over the moon. Without ever starting up a motorcycle, learning the mechanics of one, or even cracking the learners manual I was now able to ride one. Kind of scary when I think about it. All I know is that I am ready to learn. Which intern means knowing my limits? Which as it stands now is everything. Luckily my dad is a great rider so I am trusting him to guide me down this path with a patient mind. I guess that means a motorcycle in the driveway is going to become a reality in the near future.

I could not contain myself so I had to share the good news with friends. So I went right over to Courts house. E-dawg and C-Donkey reunite for the first time in a long time. This time I was not on the doorstep on the brink of tears in serious need of a friend, which seemed like a common theme for the last 2 visits to her place. Court is simply an awesome person. It is strange how similar we are. She is like talking with one of the guys (if I had guy friends). We talked about everything from skating to girls. One of the funniest things is the fact that we have the exact same taste in women, funny how that works.

It is also funny to see how we have not matured. When I got back from the trip I was feeling all high and mighty about how different I was but really not much has changed. I am still myself and I still enjoy the same things in life. One of the highlights of the night was looking back on some of our favourite memories together. The best of which came in Christina Lake. The family and court made the 7-hour trek to the coldest tree lined lake in B.C. roughly 7 years ago. After 7 hours f my sisters putrid farts and the most uncomfortable gm seats in the world there we were staring down our home for the next 8 days. My sister and I had visions of a nice lakeside house; instead we had a 80’s trailer that reeked of shag carpet. Court and I talked about the things we saw and how little we did on this trip. About the only thing that stood out was possibly the largest argument of my childhood. It all started because of a remote. This remote controlled the air-conditioning that was turned off at the time the remote was lost. Apparently I was the last one to use it so I was the first to get yelled at by mom. For days this went on until I finally lost it. I remember that this was the first time I ever dropped an f bomb in front of my mom on purpose. Days later after the dust had settled someone found it in a pot that was below a well-placed pan. It was planted and I am pretty sure it was my sister because I remember she made Kraft dinner the night before the disappearance. Court and I still to this day wonder what my sister did t fill those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment