Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tour Day 54 Long Ferry Ride Aug 18 2010

I have to say after spending 17hours on a ferry that I will never go on a cruise in my life. Granted this boat was not the largest in the ocean but when you are stuck on an island that is only 1km long and as wide as two shower stalls you get sick of it really quick. Thanks to a tip from a Newfoundlander I found a great little spot on the boat. 98% of people stayed on the 5th level because the 7th levels were private recliner chairs. But at the front of said room was a public lounge that hardly anyone was in. That meant that I could spread out a little more and get a chance to get the sleeping mat out and not ruin my neck.

The night’s sleep was not the best because I was fully clothed and rocking like I was on a chair on a patio. In the end rest was rest. It felt strange waking up and not having to put on my cycling kit right away. It was also nice to not have to do anything. I got a chance to sit down and read for hours, then after that watch I movie in its entirety. It almost felt normal.

That was until I put on my kit and everyone looked at me weird again. As if to say “why is this guy stretching and in spandex”? “Did I miss the call for the Richard Simmons workout routine”?

Because the ferry had an engine down it was 2.5 hours late getting in. Which then really forced my had with the back tracking thing. I got off the ferry at noon and if I pressed on I would have had to stay at the mosquito campsite again. That simply was not happening. So I went to the local Ultramar and bought a ticket for St. John New Brunswick. I know it is cheating but really those 3 days of backtracking and staying at the same places would have sucked. Now I can get into the states on the day that my insurance policy starts instead of wasting more time in Canada. Really the only downside is my odometer is going to show 400 less km’s but I will make those up later on down the road.

When I was pulling into the gas station something happened that I knew was going to happen. I replaced my chain yesterday and shimano chains do not have a quick link so you have to push the pin in. Well I did what every noob does and bent a link. At the time I rode it and it worked fine so I just left it. Well I heard a snap and that was that. Luckily it was a quick fix.

Now tomorrow is really all I am focused on. I have to dismantle my bike to fit it into a box then somehow pack two of my bags in said box so that I don’t get charges extra. That is stressing me out a little. All I have to pray is that I mark my seat post right otherwise my body will let me know.

On the note of my body I have to say my batteries are almost back to fully charged. I did not realize that they were that depleted until I got some good rest. I thought my legs would feel bogged down getting on the bike again but it was the complete opposite. A few days off in Florida should do the trick. Maybe I will invest in a Speedo just to show off the impressive tan lines.

I should not be thinking that way because when you think that far ahead it really messes with you mind. I should be focused on what lunch is tomorrow? How smelly the bus will be? Things like that.

I must say thank you to Maurice and Andrea the Swiss couple I met a few days ago. They handed off all there extra food to me and I have to say it is simply amazing. This one soup in particular is mind blowing. It is hearty and delicious. Somehow it manages to go from a small package to a huge pot of sup as well. As well they offered a good chance to geek out on some gear facts.
Trip Distance: 10.22km
Ride Time: 0:39hr
Avg. Speed: 15.69km/h
Total Distance: 7993km
Total Ride Time: 371hr
Destination: Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia

I have a few side notes:
1. After reading the comments I will be scaling back the km's but not to an extreme degree. Over the first 52 days I averaged 152km's per day. Over the next I hope to stay at a 150 average. That will mean a few longer days in the future because with the bus trip that will push me to 148.5 or something like that. In the end I am still Very Competitve with myself, and still want to push my bodies limits. Newfoundland was a new high for that.

2. As you all know I am a huge Hilliberge tent fan. That love has now doubled because i quickly found out the company cares about the people using its product. In my vestibule two 2mm pannels have started to seperate by about 1mm. Because of the fabric this will not get any larger, and it is also so smallt hat it does not leak any water. That being said it still freaked me out. So i sent an email to hilliberg and got an email from the company owner in under a day. She said send me a picture so I did. Now they are sending me sealer free of charge and shiping included. As well a nice thing that I found out is that they put the name of the person who made your tent on the inside of it. Thanks Hilliberg

2 comments:

  1. Ev, it's getting on to 1 a.m. and I'm beat. I was thing about your leadin to yesterdays post and I thought I should tell you just how much that first day meant to me. Being able to start your adventure with you is one of the high points of my life! The feelings & thoughts I had as I wachted you ride away were something else. Who you left as and who you come home as is really going to be intresting.I talk to Wendy yesterday and she's going to get Mike Wells to hook-up with you some how and get you his families locations and maybe it will work out for a warm bed somewhere along the line. I can't believe I just type this much with two fingers! Be safe. Love-ya,miss that smilin face. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ev, it's just after nine a.m. and I'm giving you a heads-up. I was just talking to the radio d.j.'s Brad&John from 92.9 KISM in Bellingham, they're intrested in your story and are going to try and phone you on air in the next few days,so keep a eye on your phone&blogg. Hope your having a good day buddy. Let me know what happens. Dad

    ReplyDelete