Monday, August 23, 2010

Tour Day 59 New Friends Aug 23 2010

Well no gunshots last night so it was a little more peaceful. This was a good thing because I was a ways away from the main road so I had to wake up a little earlier to get on the road and making miles by my regular time.

The morning ride was surprisingly smooth. The winds were down, and the weather was overcast. Other then the rolling hills all was good. Now rolling hills are fine if your legs feel good, but boy mine did not feel so hot today. It was 7:00am and I was feeling myself slow down. I could feel my knees were starting to hurt. I wanted to push on till lunch without music but it just was not in the cards today.

Thankfully with some music in my ears I perked right up. At first I was listening to the radio. Which is a something I want to talk about. The first thing is the shows here are a lot more blunt and right to the point. There is no messing around with the information that they give you. It is hard to explain you have to experience it for yourself. The other thing is they are a lot more graphic then I am used to. It was odd hearing people say Indian instead of native, and even stranger that they were able to get away with a few sketchy sexist jokes. That being said it was a pleasant change of pace. That was until I lost reception about 5km after I turned the show on.

Throughout the day my legs started to feel better and better. To the point that I passed my lunch stop because I still had energy. This is where the day started to turn around in the other direction. The spitting rain started again. Thinking nothing of it I just pressed on. By this point I was starting to get hungry so I wanted to stop. I wanted something quick and simple. Which was easy but I am stubborn and passed about 5 restaurants simply because they did not look up to snuff. By the time I got to Athens pizza I was ready for a 4-course meal.

At lunch I asked about camping. I was at km 120 at this point so I was game to put on another 40- 70km. But again it was not in the cards today. After lunch the spitting rain stopped and the real rain started. I had to put on all the rain gear and get nice and wet with my own sweat because it was still warm outside. I kept thinking sweat is better then rain. That is still a tough pill to swallow when you are dripping climbing up a hill.

The only campsite for 40 miles was at km 150 and I decided to make the stop instead of pushing on. It all worked for the better though because I met two really stellar guys named Allan and monk. They are traveling from Chicago to Boston, and are just really cool easygoing guys. It defiantly made tonight a little easier. As well made it last a little longer then normal.

Anyways it is getting late and the mosquitoes are starting to come out so I am going to hit the sack.
Trip Distance: 149km
Ride Time: 7:07hr
Avg. Speed: 21.02kmÉh (damn French again)
Total Distance: 8659km
Total Ride Time: 402hr
Destination: Mom Please comment because I do not know, Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment