Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tour Day 44 A new Prvince With The Same Wind Aug 8 2010

This morning started off surprisingly well. I guess I had forgotten the weather forecast. And I guess I ignored the fact that the wind made taking down my camp a complete pain in the but. At that time the only thing that was on my mind was the fact that I was cooking my breakfast in a nice warm shed while listening to the radio. I was a happy camper. So mo much so that in my head I thought “man this is easy I will get to Newfoundland in no time, then Florida no problem”.

Well those thoughts were quickly demolished by wind. My first heading was east where I got a nice crosswind. That was not all that bad though because all I had to do was lean the bike over and continue on my marry way. Sure it meant I could not climb at the speeds I was the other day but really that’s no big deal.

The other thing that was on my mind was my blog from last night. I have to apologize for it because it was complete garbage, but you have to understand I was excited to talk to someone and did not want to be anti social for long.

Next came charlotte town. This is a beautiful place. It is hard to explain but I could definitely picture raising a family there. Something in the atmosphere just gave me a very home like feel. It felt as if you were to dial the wrong number the person would say “you dialled #2, you need #12”.

After getting lost on purpose to see more of the city I was back on my way. This time I was heading south. This made the day go from all right to just garbage. I was battling this wind that was holding my to 15km/h no matter how hard I pushed. I watched as time went by. I watched as all my goals for the day slipped away, and I watch as my moral sank.

The thoughts of heading to Newfoundland being easy were dashed in a very short amount of time. Those thoughts were replaced by thoughts of breaks. Usually I only take one 20- 30minute break at 10am but today I split that up because my legs were not turning those pedals. The first two stops were normal I ate my banana, and I enjoyed my bar of the day. The third I stopped at a gas station and gorged on some cookies because they were the only things available. I was thinking that wood island would have some restaurant of some sort so I would be set.

On my way to Wood Island I see the ferry on the horizon. At this point I am 15km away and start to panic because the ferry only operates every 90mins. I race down to the terminal and see the cars unloading. I then had to snag a quick picture with the welcome to pei sign because there was not one when I came in over the bridge. I rushed to the gate paid and got on. Other then two motorcyclists I was the last one on the ferry. All of my luck was on the boat because the other one was broken which meant I would have waited three hours. This however meant that I missed lunch. I figured that no lunch was better then ferry food.

The ferry took longer then I thought so really it put me in a hard place. My mind wanted to continue but when I got off the ferry and found I had the same head wind my body did not.

The better got of me and I pulled into the tourist centre where they told me the only campsite were either 7k back or 29k forward. The 7k back was the choice of course but it also meant I was going downhill to the site. Which means tomorrow I have to start the day with 7k of hills. Lets just hope the wind is better.

I am left at the end of the day tired, hungry, and at a loss as to what to do. Do I add the 35days and 5000k to Florida or do I vacation in Newfoundland for a while. I guess we will have to jump off that bridge (or ferry in this case) when I get to it.
Trip Distance: 125km
Ride Time: 6:28hr
Avg. Speed: 19.36km/h
Total Distance: 6616km
Total Ride Time: 305hr
Destination: Birchwood, Nova Scotia

1 comment:

  1. Evan, I'm amazed at how quickly you made it across country!Take some time for yourself and recharge your battery.Don't loitter too long if you're going to push onto Florida.Let me know whenyour going to cross into the States,I'll get a hold of Mike Wells , he has a lot of family on the east coast that he can put you in touch with. I also have some friends in Florida you can stay with.Thanks for the belated birthday wish,I had a real enjoyable day! Keep your spirits up,love Dad hold

    ReplyDelete