Friday, August 13, 2010

Tour Day 49 A Sore Day Aug 13 2010

This morning was nice. I did not have to pack anything I did not have to do anything except cook and leave. I decided while cooking to turn on the TV with my fingers crossed that they had changed the channel from last night. Luckily they did and but on showcase. Which I found kind of funny because I know haw that played out. The kids went to sleep and they got a chance to watch some TV shows that did not involve child like screams, or 24-year-old show hosts that act as if they were 13.

It was hard walking out that door for a couple reasons. First off I was lonely something about the bed reminded me of home and made me miss every bit of it. Adding to that outside was the thickest fog I had ever ridden through. Fog I found out is a very lonely weather condition because you can look around to distract you. You are forced to think and scrutinize everything that passes through your mind even more.

Needless to say the morning was a little rough on my young soul. Adding to that were my sore legs that did not want to go forward. Luckily I had a slight breeze in my favour pushing me forward into a town called badger. By this time the fog had burnt off, and my legs were starting to feel semi good (only after 90km on the bike). Badger is an interesting place for one reason. For days I have been seeing signs advertising for 3 star motels which is bad enough but I have been wanting more then anything to see something advertising less because they it would be 50% or below. Well today that came true. I saw a motel that was proud of being a two and half star motel. I got to thinking about what it would be like in there. Would it have a porto-potty? Do I use someone else’s towels? What’s the deal? I think it is a safe bet to say that they would not have free soap.

From here the km’s flowed. Lunch and groceries were next. This provided me with my first experience in a Newfoundland town since I have been here. It was interesting because there were a lot of young people. I always pictured Newfoundland as this rustic place with old farts on rocking chairs every few miles. Well it’s rustic but there is nothing for 50km stretches except beautiful scenery, and the old people are not as plentiful as I had dreamed.

I also completed one of my goals of the trip as well today. When I left I said to myself that I want to get 3 awesome photos. One of me one a pier with my bike while the sun is setting, one of guys fly fishing in a river, and one of a train with a beautiful background. It is kind of like a pokemon game I played back in the day on my n64. Well today I got my fly fishing photo nailed. I was riding past with a hill in my sights trying to get my fully stoked bike up to attack speed when I saw these two guys just happily fishing in this wonderful little river. For me it was an easy choice to stop and loose all of my momentum, turn around the 4 lanes of traffic and get the shot.

The other thing that I have learned is that in Newfoundland the only campsites you can count on are the provincial ones. The private sites may be there but they are not advertised and are impossible to find. Another little fact I found out is that the ferry I want to catch only runs three times a week. Because I am only 350km away from st. Johns and my ferry I on Tuesday it means I am going to be forced to take a rest day. That Kind of blows because as it stands now I am feeling good and cooking the miles. I fear that the rest day or days will brake that stride, or cause the winds to change. As will Farrell said “I am not super sticious; I am just a little sticious”.
Trip Distance: 176km
Ride Time: 8:02hr
Avg. Speed: 22.00km/h
Total Distance: 7471km
Total Ride Time: 344hr
Destination: Notre Dame, Newfoundland

No comments:

Post a Comment