Monday, August 2, 2010

Tour Day 39 Christmas In August Aug 2 2010

When you wake up at 5 am all you want to do is go back to sleep. Unfortunately I rolled around and decided that it was in my best interest to get my butt moving and start rolling down the road.

Once on the road I realized a few good things. 1 I had a slight tailwind, and 2 even though I forgot to lube my chain it did not sound to bad considering how worn out it is. When I say it is worn out I mean that I can feel every link as it rolls over the chain rings. And when I shift I hold it and stop pedaling for a second to not put any extra stress on it. I know the time is coming when that one shift will happen and it will just spit out the back end of my bike.

The view while riding beside the Saint Laurent was awesome but that was quickly changed because I headed into terrain that was very similar to that of the parries. All you could see for miles where these corn fields broken up with the odd house. This was awesome for riding but was not so awesome for food.

At the first stop of the day all I wanted was some chocolate milk. No dice because there was no restaurant of small store at all. That was fine because I had my snack with me. So I pressed on to my lunch stop. Well the lunch stop came and went because again there was no restaurant. I found it odd though because there was a store that was open all year around that carried just Christmas stuff.

In the end lunch was at a gas station that sold me some Spam and a sprite. A Spam sandwich was what was on the menu for me. First off I do not trust “meat” that can be left unrefridgerated for years in the heat. And 2 why do they make the openers so flimsy. I try to open it craving food and it snaps off. I then grab my knife and stab a hole in it and my finger, which made the experience all the more enjoyable. All of this cooking was done onto of a garbage can as well so it was also very sanitary. To clean the cut I use my bottles of water thinking noting of it. I then go to fill them up and the lady says the water was no good in the town.

Well I am going to cut to the end of the day because it looks like rain is in the future by the clouds on the horizon. The rest stop for the day is rivere du loup. The way I got here was amazing. I got to catch up and pass a guy on an all carbon road bike. Then when he caught up he said, “Are you blood doping”? In response I hit the gas up the hill and never saw him again.

This is also a town where the campsite is right across the street from the only other all year Christmas store in the world. As well the campsite is packed with I would say about 500 RV’s and I am one of one 3 tents on the entire premises.
Trip Distance: 179km
Ride Time: 7:56hr
Avg. Speed: 22.61km/h
Total Distance: 5734km
Total Ride Time: 264hr
Destination: Riviere Du Loup, Quebec

2 comments:

  1. It's funny I just read a article about Spam. It sounds as if your hooking up with a few people. How's you're budget doing? Dad ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worked it out to avergae x amount of dolars so it is all goo in the hood

    ReplyDelete