Monday, August 16, 2010

Tour Day 52 Realizing I Am Human Aug 16 2010

Welcome to St. Johns. The town of many hills, and poorly laid out streets. When I woke up (late) in pippy park it was a weird feeling. I felt as if the day had already passed me by and it was only 6:30am. Luckily I woke up during one of the only dry spells today so I got a chance to dry off my tent and pack up just before the next rain started.

Rain. Everyone was complaining about Newfoundland and how bad the weather was. Well today I got my first taste of that, sans shoe covers. My shoe covers are in a Tim Horton’s back in New Brunswick so I had to resort to plastic bags. They work yes but everyone looks at you a little funny. So that was the first thing I wanted to find today were some new shoe covers. So I go into the local bike shop and say I want waterproof shoe covers. They say they don’t have anything and that they use plastic bags. I find that odd, as a businessman in a town with a lot of rain that would be something that I would carry many of.

The next stop was the bank to figure out what the heck happened with my savings account when I attempted online banking for the first time. Evidently I did something wrong because what I wanted to do did not happen. At that point I was a little miffed so I figured some starbucks hot chocolate was in order (thanks Dr. D). I felt really hip sitting emailing and such while drinking my hot beverage. Almost felt normal for a change. One gentleman even invited me to stay with him and his girlfriend for the night. What I am doubting is my choice to press on down the road 40km instead of taking that nice warm bed for a night.

I was going to change my chain today but I am simply too tired. After a nap, a buffet lunch, and some dinner I am just ready to hit the sack. I am quickly finding out that I am only human. When you keep hammering and hammering day after day it is fine. But the second you stop and break from that routine your body lets you know “hey you have been being dumb”. With that in mind I think I will try to stick around the 150km per day mark in the states and try to avoid these 200km plus days.

With that in mind I had to try to find maps today for the eastern states. Now that is a task that you would think would be easy. Just find a bookstore and or caa and you would be set. Well the book store only had a place mat of the eastern states which does me no good, and I am not a caa member so that is not an option. It is not time for me to start looking while I am in Nova Scotia. The last thing that I want is to go across the boarder and answer the “where are you going” question with a “ummmm I need to find a map first”. For some reason I do not think that they would let me in if that was my answer.

The final things to do were get insurance and get a stuff stack. Insurance was easy because the ladies were really nice and helpful. They even took the extra time to call to make sure I am not voiding my policy by riding my bicycle because it puts me in harms way. Luckily that was not a problem so we are set to go. Now all that is left is backtracking through Nova Scotia, which I am less then thrilled about. It is not a very appealing thing when your only two options are either to go along the same road and save 40km or take the other road that loops around a little more but then still ends up on the same road that you have to take to get to Halifax or wherever in the province.

After talking with some other bike tourists I find it hard to believe that I am not content with riding across Canada. That I would feel regret and failure if I did not finish in the states. These peoples life long dreams were just Canada and here I am at 18 biting off even more. This feeling is something that hits you right in the gut… and it is not hunger I think.

The campsite for the night is right next to the highway so it is very peaceful, and the shower was nice and cold. Those two things really made me feel awesome about my choice to go down the road as well. But the way I am looking at it is that I have to do a few less hills tomorrow, and I can get into the ferry to wait a long time a little earlier. You know when I typed that out it makes less sense then it did in my head.
Trip Distance: 33km
Ride Time: 2:06hr
Avg. Speed: 15.91km/h
Total Distance: 7863km
Total Ride Time: 364hr
Destination: Exit 40 outside of St. Johns, Newfoundland

1 comment:

  1. Keep peddling man :) Definitely give a call when you pass through New Hampshire - there's a bed and food (and a cousin) waiting for you, if it works out to be time to stop over. As you ride along the NorthEast coast - it's worth adding a few extra miles to jump off the main roadways to cruise right along the ocean. Good Luck with the rest of your ride ...maybe we'll see ya
    cousin Karen

    ReplyDelete