Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tour Day 40 I Have No Complaints Aug 3 2010

I forgot to talk about this yesterday. The first English I have seen in three days came on a shirt in an esso station. This shirt had a master card logo on it that said mister hard. Now who buys that shirt? Does a guy come into the esso and go “o that’s what all my buddies call me”? What does the cashier think when he or she sells it? They must sell it otherwise they would not carry it. I do not understand these types of shirts personally. I do not want to be known as “mister hard”, or “the answer to all questions is beer”, or my favourite “I cook with my chest hairs out”.

Today was a mixed bag. I got on the bike and felt that my legs were dead, and I had a slight head wind. I was not stoked the first 3 hours in the saddle I was just grinding out the kilometres. I stopped early to get a snack and what I was craving were muffins. Well the muffins were $3 more expensive then the donouts and the donouts I gained 300 extra grams so they were the winners. Those managed to give me enough energy to get to the local gas station where one guy remarked “must be nice to have a tail wind”. I look back and as he spoke the wind changed directions.

This change got me really excited to hit the road and make up some time. I was rifling through the kilometres at a pace that was above 20km/h, which was nice. I was going to make it to my lunch stop in time, which boosted my moral. Then I see a cyclist on the side of the road so I stop. Who was it? Louise with another flat. Someone else was already helping him so I just said hello and left. My biggest question was how did he get ahead of me? I have not been putting in short days or short kilometres? As well you can tell a lot about a person by the way that they pack their equipment. Me every thing is neatly packed in bags that are then packed into the external waterproof bags. Louise and many other bike tourists just strap as much stuff on with bungee cords as possible, which I laugh at. In this case the tent was tied under his top tube.

Lunch came at st. scherberts, which is like the Quebec white spot. I have to say it was amazing for 14 bucks I got a full stomach and a nice sit down meal. I was contemplating the entire time Why is this not in BC? It would make a killing. I would gladly put my life on the line to get a franchise and pop it right where the old Tony romas was in coquitlam so that I can literally face off with my closest competition.

The last part of the day was riding along the main bike road. Or so I thought. I stopped to pee on the side of the road and 3 ambulances wiz by me. I get 150metres up the road and right there is the worst cars accident I had ever scene. The entire road was shut down while they worked on getting these people free. The cars? Well they were going to be there for a while so I hoped that I could squeak past and continue on my way. Well after waiting 15mins a guy comes to me and says road closed for the day back track and tack xyz route. I sighed and went on my way.

When I completed the detour and got back on my route I was facing another head wind. I got to thinking about it though I cannot really complain those people in that accident they have something to complain about. Me riding a bike in some wind I have no complaints.

When I got to the info centre I asked for camping within 20km’s east. The lady said nothing was available so I again had to back track 7km this time to get to my campsite. This means that in order to make my goal of New Brunswick tomorrow everything has to go right. So fingers crossed.
Trip Distance: 156km
Ride Time: 7:17hr
Avg. Speed: 21.46km/h
Total Distance: 5891km
Total Ride Time: 271hr
Destination: St. Flouris, Quebec

No comments:

Post a Comment