Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tour Day 64 A New Family Aug 28 2010

Last night was something else. I was a little overwhelmed because tami was so welcoming. After getting a nice home cooked meal they invited me over to there friend kims house. At first I was a little hesitant because in my head I was think I have to ride tomorrow and its already 8pm. But then I shook myself straight. Why would I not meat new people? Why would I pass up a once in a lifetime experience just to put on a few extra kilometres.

At that point I decided to take today off. I have to say that was one of the best choice I have made of this tour so far because I met some of the most welcoming and funniest people I have ever met.

When we show up at Kim’s house I was floored. It had a beautiful ocean view and a patio to die for. Everyone was so curious about what I was doing and just wanted to know more. The feelings were mutual because I wanted to know more about these people.

At first it was just Tami, Kim, A guy named Ray, and I. We hit it off golden. So much so that Kim said if I am ever back in Connecticut I have a cabana boy job at her house. From the way things have been going I may have to come back to Milford because it has been such a great experience.

After that Tommy the blind traffic report for the local radio station, and Tadd showed up. And boy they were the life of the party. They just fed off of each other and the jokes never seemed to finish. I don’t think that I have laughed that had since I left home.

Once we got back home at midnight I was ready to hit the sack. Now I think my sleeping bag and mattress have a perminant smell of farts in them so that was my first task today was air and scrub those two things.

The day today was relaxing. I got a chance to do some chores that I had been letting slack, and most of all got to spend time with my new friends. I think the biggest surprise was one of tami and todd’s sons knollen (sorry if I spelt that wrong). This 9 year old kid knew more then some of the people I knew in highschool.

Breakfest this morning was amazing. Tami cooked chocolate chip pancakes and all the other breakfest ammentities that make a well rounded family morning. Needless to say I polished pretty much everything off.

Tonight we are having a family bbq where I am meeting more new people. My mind is a little overloaded with all the names but I am managing. I cant put into words how I feel right now. It is a feeling that I did not realize I missed until I had it again. I don’t want to ride tomorrow just because I am going to be leaving behind such amazing people.

Tonight I have to decide what to do tomorrow train into new York so that I can walk around no problem, or run the risk with my bike. Anyways I am being anti social by typing this right now and want to get back to talking with my new friends.

I have to say thank you to Tami Todd and there whole family you have made a simple Canadian bike tourist who showed up on you door step feel more welcomed then I could have ever expected.
Trip Distance: 0km

2 comments:

  1. You will always be an extension of our family Evan! Nolan already misses you! Best of luck on your trip. You are a very courageous young man! If you need anything while on the East Cast, give us a call. Have a great time in NY!
    ...to your parents, You have raised one GREAT kid! Thanks for sharing him with us for the past 2 days.

    Tami
    203-906-0558

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog almost made cry.Sounds like you have found some wonderful new friends on the east coast, Ev.Your journey and ambition is something very inspiring.
    New York City, here he comes!

    ReplyDelete