Monday, August 9, 2010

Tour Day 45 An Good Rebound Day Aug 9 2010

Last night as you could probably read was not the best for me. So when the phone rang I thought it was simply telus trying to waste more of my time like they do by sending me at least 5 texts a month asking me to upgrade. So when I picked it up and on the other end where Kristi, Kristy and Marshall I was very happy. The 4.02 minute conversation was a good way to go to sleep.

The morning was typical other then the fact most of the other campers were up at the same time as me (5am) which I found extremely weird. When I pulled out I saw a bike in front of me and I was tempted to catch him. The better got of me and I decided not to know that I had 150k ahead of me. Now don’t get me wrong I was still flying up the hills because I had a tail wind I just didn’t want to push it that hard yet.

I also knew that because I had a tail wind up the hills the first 15km I would have a headwind. With that in mind I approached it with an open mind. It was slow and painful but I resisted the urge to go all out.

This ended up paying dividends because the rest of the ride today I had a slight tail wind. This really helped because in all honesty there were no flat spots today at all. I contemplated taking pictures of a few of them but I did not want to ruin what momentum I had going for me.

To keep the legs turning I listened to the radio for most of the day. The question this one show had was “am I the only one”. I was thinking and thinking about my answer to this and whether I should call in or not. Well I decided to call from the side of the 104 only to find out that the information they give you does not include the first 3 digits so the call could not be completed. My answer was so good to. Am I the only one who has spent 45 day in a tent? Then that would have sparked questions. Then that would have sparked some buzz for fundraising but that was simply pie in the sky apparently.

Lunch was quick because it was gas station sandwiches, which are also an interesting experience. In general though here people are really curious what I am doing. As well I seem to get at least one honk a day. Which may not seem like a lot but in Quebec the whole time I was there I did not get one.

That brings us to the cape. It was getting late in the day so I stopped at the visitor centre to ask about camping. Well she said either 2km back or 48km ahead. In my head I was thinking about how much I would hate writing another blog about backtracking; so with that in min d I decided to press on. My body responded to the call and hurtled me forward. It took me less then two hours to get 48km down the road. And the terrain like I say was not easy.

When I arrived at the campground with the smashing pumpkins (who I have grown very fond of) in my ear the guy asked, “How was your day”? I don’t think he really cared but I went on for about 15mins about how awesome it was.

A few firsts happened today as well. I had to use my credit card for the first time because you have to book the ferry in advance I found out. $49.61 for a bike to get to Newfoundland the short was the 14hr ferry is even more. I will be having my first online banking experience tonight to pay that bill so lets hope that all works out well otherwise I will have to find a branch tomorrow. And I had my first laugh in a few days when I saw a sign that said “dailey special” with the extra e crudely covered up.
Trip Distance: 181km
Ride Time: 7:51hr
Avg. Speed: 23.07km/h
Total Distance: 6801km
Total Ride Time: 313hr
Destination: Wayhaman (cant spell it), Nova Scotia

No comments:

Post a Comment