Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tour Day 50 True Tears Of Joy Aug 14 2010

I am going to start with how I am feeling right now because that is what I am focused on. It was a really hard day. It was like riding the least fun roller coaster on the planet. I cannot believe that I am so close to st. Johns. I can believe I am doing this alone either. It is hard on my 18-year-old mind. Spending all day every day alone is tough no way about it. I am not sure what I feel right now so I am going to quote from a hunters and collectors song. Your thoughts are scattered like paper everywhere tiny pieces of laughter and despair. But your cry true tears of joy. Passion id you weakness, but you feed it every day. As I sit here weeping over my computer this song has never rung truer. Im just thinking about everything from home amazing some days where to how tough most days are. I cannot word this properly and this is very quickly becoming a run on paragraph so I will end it at that.

There is always a lighter side to everything though. In this case it came when I was crying and had to blow my nose so I Sask hankied it all over myself. It was a really good look on me I have to say. The other bright spot came when I called Kristi and got to talk to her for 3 minutes. My conversations out here are always how far? Where to? And by yourself? It is nice to be able to skip all that and just talk to someone who gets me. It is strange how being further away from friends and family actually makes you closer (at least on my end).

As for the day my campsite last night was garbage. It had 20 stairs that u had to climb to get to it with no way around, and the campers in front of me had a dog that would not be quiet. I think that it should be a rule if you cannot train a dog to be quiet you should not be allowed to have kids. I would have won my earplugs but they are getting to the stage where I would almost rather stuff dirt in my ear.

I can tell my brain was starting to get scattered by how many things I miss placed. First it was my lighter. So I had to get one off of a nice couple just down the street. Next was my ipod that I left in the laundry room. Then again my ipod today when I went to grab it after lunch I found out I left it in my tent when I rolled it up.

The days ride sucked hard today. I was battling a slight headwind all day, and the terrain was just no good. Where I wanted to stop for lunch turned out to be 3km down a 6% grade hill. Then when in said town I asked for directions to see if there was a better way out after lunch. Here is where I learnt something. Canada actually has three languages English, French, and Newfoundland. The directions I had to get repeated three times before I understood what she was saying. Then a guy at the campsite had a few questions about the trip that I for the life of me could not understand so I just ran through my standard answer sheet.

The national park was next after lunch and it was the hardest riding I have encountered yet by a country mile. It was constant punishment to the legs. I could feel my body getting lower and lower in fuel. I could feel my legs turning over slower and slower. It was rough. Never have I wanted music to distract me more in my life. Instead I did the opposite and plunked in my crusty earplugs so that I could enjoy the sound of silence.

One of the loyal blog readers Don wanted me to do a run through on the pros and cons of my gear. Well here is the short of it. I am happy with all of my gear. My glasses have been run over by a truck and did not break (riders glasses). My bags are waterproof so that’s awesome. I also like the replacement bags a little bit better because they do not close up as much so I can store more food. The only ability I lost is the option to throw it in a river to dry it off. My compute has lived up to its name as the tough book. I have dropped it, dented it, and have no complaints. The best article of clothing I brought with me has to be my cannondale morphis shell because it is so versatile. And I am super glad I brought my winter riding gloves because cold hands suck.
Trip Distance: 145km
Ride Time: 7:13hr
Avg. Speed: 20.19km/h
Total Distance: 7617km
Total Ride Time: 351hr
Destination: Thor Lake, Newfoundland

P.S. I have told a few key people but now its time to let the cat out of the bag. I am continuing after St. Johns. I have more then one day left in these legs… I think.

1 comment:

  1. Ev, the other night I went to the A&W with Dan in his "40",good turnout,Maria & Mike were there.We had a good chat mostly about you and how far away you are and how fast you got there!Its just staggers the mind to try and grasp what you've done in such a short time. I agee with Don, I think you should take some time and really enjoy the whole adventure, people,places etc. Give it some thought. Change of topic,it's going to be a scorcher today! Thats about it for today,here's to good weather and good roads & people.Be safe & have fun. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete