Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tour Day 55 Smooth. What Is That? Aug 19 2010

Well again on a day when things needed to go right they did not.

It all started off fine and dandy. Woke up at my regular time. Got my bike boxed with time to spare, and even got my bags in the box as well so I did not have to pay extra for having to many bags. The bus itself was fairly new and did not smell like every greyhound in BC.

We were off. Within the first 3 hours we were off of cape Breton and on out way to the terminal in Turo. There were only about 16 of us on the bus so we all had space to spread out and get comfortable. This may explain why I took 2 catnaps while on the road. As well I got some good reading time in.

The girl in front of me was playing dance dance revolution on her computer so I decided to listen to ddr music on my ipod. This is where I found out that every ddr song works with every arrow that comes on the screen, no matter the combination. This is probably because all the songs are pumped up to roughly 220 beat per minute. Then just to switch it up I turned on classical music and watched those same arrows fly by. I could not help but to giggle a little bit because the classical music even worked. For some reason I don’t think dance dance revolution would be the same if it was all classical music.

Over the intercom I hear “next stop Turo transfer point to Monkton and those continuing to St. John”. Great that’s me, and it is only a ten-minute wait till the next bus. We arrive at the terminal and it was pretty busy. About 15 people waiting for the same bus. Not fazed I walked in and asked the guy “what time does the bus to st. John get in tonight”? He replies with the simple answer of “8:15”. Right away I go think to myself crap that’s usually the time I go to sleep and I still have to find a campsite after that. Still confidant that I will work it out I wait.

Well the bus pulls in and the driver hopes out and first thing he sees is me with the bike box. He says, “That ain’t gunna fit”. This is where I try to keep my cool. I can’t leave m bike. And I have to look at this as a privilege not a right. I go back inside and ask what time the next bus is and he says “5:45 arriving in Monkton at 8 and no connection to St. John tonight”. Well that blows goats. I wanted this to be a one-day thing now it has ruined two days.

As well what am I going to do tonight? Do I unpack the bike and rebuild it to find a campsite around Monkton? I don’t think so because it would take 30mins to put together and then however long to find a site. I am really hoping that I have the option like I had at the tourist centre in Newfoundland. If I build the bike and ride t tomorrow what is the point of me buying the ticket to St. John? I have then wasted an extra $37 and I will still have to ride from Monkton to St. John, which will take all day.

Really this situation just sucks rocks. What was supposed to be easy has now become a pain in the butt. I understand that this is all apart of the adventure but it always seems like I am on the wrong end of the stick when it comes to situations like this.

I always say one of the most exciting things every night is figuring out where you are going to stay is. Well it looks like tonight is going to be one of the nights. I think the hardest part of this whole ordeal is the fact I am watching some of my goals slip away. I wanted to keep that 150 average because it is such a mental boost for me. Now after two days of doing very few km’s instead of one I somehow have to manage to pull 300km’s out of my butt instead of 150km’s. That fact is what is in the back of my head. That fact is what is making me thin of biking from Monkton.

Then this is how my brain works I go “why would you do that Evan you have a free ride to St. John you will arrive at 2pm and still have some time get maps, money, and all the rest. It just sucks because I want to get riding so bad. But what can I do I am simply a man with a bike at this moment.
Trip Distance: 6:18km
Ride Time: 0:17hr
Avg. Speed: 21.04km/h
Total Distance: 7999km
Total Ride Time: 371hr
Destination: Will be somewhere in Monkton, New Brunswick

I will probably have one more night after this in Canada but if I do not I have to say a few things. One my phone will not work in the states so to any family I am sorry. Two my internet stick will not work in the states as well so I will have to use wifi. That means that the blog most likely will not be updated every day but when I do have internet access I will upload multiple days worth of journals. My mom has been pretty good with uploading where I am via the gps “spot” system so when she is back from vacation lets hope that continues.

2 comments:

  1. Ev,I've spent sometime this morning talking to a number of radio stations here ahd in Bellingham. Reading todays post I think something you should definately do is get a cell phone thats going to work in the States. The people I have talk to have expressed alot of intrest in you and your ride! It would be a shame to lose that because they can't reach you. If it's a matter of cost put it on the card and I'll cover it.Tomorrow find the time and call Tanya Fletcher at News 1130/604-877-4400,she sounded really intrested in your story.I don't really know how to tell people how to get a hold of except by the phone(my lack of computer skills is really showing now].I think this is something you should look into,it seems that there is intrest building in what your trying to do,it would be ashame to lose that because they can't talk to you.Let me know what you decide to do. In the long run it may be to the fund raisings benifit to take the time and talk to these people, even if it means hanging in Canada a extra day or so, heck you've gone so far so fast. Call me if you want to talk about it.Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we have discussed earlier, Ev, the lack of cell phone use in the USA has nothing to do with costs....it is the fact that you are not 19 and unable to sign a contract to have the service work for you in the USA.
    I would suggest getting into the USA and then taking the time to get into a cell store and getting a disposable cell service. You would have a different cell number...but the service would be similar to the pay and talk service that you have had.You could then notify us of your new cell number and even have your old cell number forwarded to your new cell number. You would not miss any calls.
    These are just suggestions of course.

    Call me collect...thru an operator ....on Sunday night and we can discuss your cell options.I know that all of us would feel much more comfortable with you having something of a communications tool for your USA journey.
    Ride safely. We love you.

    ReplyDelete