Monday, June 28, 2010

Tour Day 4 Welcome To The Rolling Rockies June 28 2010

Last night after I updated my blog I thought I would be smart and video call my mom via skype and my web cam. Then the web cam stand broke, but if that was not enough the computer did not recognize the device and I needed the install disc again. So that failed epically but what can you do I guess I am stuck to good old-fashioned emails or phone calls to everyone.

The day started off beautiful mostly because we got out of that sketchy town in a jiffy (+1 awesome point for using jiffy in a sentence). It was like a wildlife refuge mixed with beautiful roads. In the space of one hour we saw goats, badgers, the biggest hawks nest I have every seen, and those pesky mosquitoes.

Don’t let that fool you though this has been the hardest day thus far. First thing is I paced myself for a 100k ride; but that ride turned into 120k very quickly. As well the 97from peach land to Kelowna is just a mess. In some places it has no shoulder, and when it did have a shoulder it was barely wide enough to cover the sides of your bags.

The up and down terrain that the 97 has is just brutal on the body. This is how sheltered I am. When I thought of crossing the rockies I had envidioned one big hill. Not 500 rolling large hills. I say hills because the word mountain just makes me sad to have to ride them. I went through 6liters of water and it still was not enough. My body by the end of the ride was so starved for energy that I was even contemplating buying a $4 energy gel at the bike shop in Kelowna. Thankfully my cheapness came out and I saved myself said money for that moment.

Campsites always confuse me because they charge you in this case $36 for a piece of grass and a toilet. What I find amazing about this campsite is that people live on it. They have Rv’s that are fenced in and all. I know that that is not the lifestyle I want to live. Speaking of lifestyle I have been doing some thinking. This is a really hard lifestyle to live. If you have never done it before you cannot speak to it. For example tonight I was so hungry that I made myself enough pasta for 2 thinking that would be enough. It was not. I then proceeded to drink roughly another litre of water fallowed by a teen burger combo and a pop (I just needed fast… food). Days like today are hard but im sure are what you look back with in future days. The reason I bring this up is I have been re-analyzing my goals. I thin across Canada may be enough to get my adventuring out for now but we will see when that time comes. Remember if life is worth living it is worth recording.

I will spare the campsite rant for another time but to sum it up the site is not worth up to $12 a night but the company is.


As a side note I handed out my first cards to a very nice pair of Danish women in the tent next to us. They were very kind in letting us use their extra space. So if they take me up on the offer and read my blog one day I will thank you again.
Trip Distance: 123.39km
Ride Time: 7:30hrs
Avg. Speed: 16.44km/hr
Total Distance: 481km
Total Ride Time: 27:05hrs
End Point: Kelowna, B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment