Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tour Day 5 Highway 1 Bound On A Rest Day June 29 2010

This is the first day that we got to sleep in because no one wanted to wake at our regular 5am time. Instead we slept until 5:30 woooo. It was a good day because my legs felt normal (minus the mosquito bites) for the first time since the day I left.

The first 40k out of Kelowna and into Vernon were beautiful. Nice rolling hills beautiful blue water that near the edges turned green and a nice wide shoulder for the most part made a big difference as well.

When we got to Vernon I had to do more grocery shopping because I am eating more then I thought I would. This time I got my regular stuff (pasta, breakfast stuff, etc) plus a lot of beans in case of emergency, or if I have to scare any bears off because I don’t have a bear scare.

We hit our destination of Enderby early and were ahead of schedule for our rest day. So with rest in mind be decided to put on the extra 40k to Sicamous. Along the way I saw something very strange. I have seen goats on a rood before and that was this man has put goats on a sign, which is even weirder. I must admit it was pretty cool though.

I must say I am floored by the houseboat capital of bc the lake is pristine which is why we wanted to camp on it, but unfortunately no camp ground around any more in order to make room for more condos. On the plus side we were forced to pass that target and hit the trans Canada for a few km’s to get to our site. Now again campsites are odd because people don’t know there own prices. We ask one guy he says $25 for all three, the next guy says $25 for each tent. At that point I said hold the phone bud that is $75 for one night give me a break I can rent a cheap motel for less. I eventually got him down to $40 but that still is not $25 but c’est la vie.

If you ever wonder what I think about on the bike this is what was on my mind for most of the day today. Do blind people dream? If so is it just sounds? Is that not called music? So when they hear music do they think they are sleeping? How does it all work? I then contemplated thinking about the deaf but I will save that for another day.

As a side note I find that being so close to Oliver and Charles is giving me more respect for Quebec. I mean that’s one heck of an upbringing to make your son this passionate about biking to want to do it right out of high school. As well Oliver is a monster on the bike. He climbs like a young Jan Ulrich while I sit in back like Bradley Wiggins waiting for my one hill to come first on. Speaking of pro guys we saw one today. We were on the flats doing about 30k/hr (a rare speed in BC) when a guy in all garmin gear on a team issue bike passes us like we are standing still. My guess is it was Tyler ferrah (spelt it wrong). Weird what a small world it is. Remember if life is worth living its worth recording. Especially if you are recording it in a smelly bathroom trying to charge all your gear.
Trip Distance: 142.58km
Ride Time: 6:58hrs
Avg. Speed: 20.44km/hr
Total Distance: 624km
Total Ride Time: 34:04hrs
Destination: East of Sicamous

No comments:

Post a Comment