Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tour Day 6 Walls Instead Of Fabric... Wierd June 30 2010

Well the long day yesterday paid itself off today because as we speak right now I am nice and cozy in a hostel and it is only 3p.m. Even better is the fact I get a nice warm shower and to do some laundry. All good things must come to an end however. That end will be very soon a.k.a. tomorrow when we have to ride 140k including Rodgers pass into golden.

Today was hard because the mind and body were on two different levels. My mind was looking ahead and going o that is not so steep it almost looks flat in fact. My body on the other hand told me Evan this is an uphill with a headwind slow this bus down. I think that is one of the most interesting things I have discovered thus far. When u look up for a long time it looks flat then flat looks down. Or maybe I am just dehydrated and loosing my mind.

Even through loosing my mind I could tell that the scenery was beautiful. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures as we got dumped with raid so I scrambled to get all my gear on; then it stopped raining so every time I got ahead (when I would usually take a photo) I had to strip a layer off to prevent myself from sweating like a beaver.

Once we got into revelstoke we stopped in at the visitor centre. Here is where they tell us a campsite is $29 per tent. So instead we went to a hostel get free laundry and shower facilities all included in my negotiated price of $70. Speaking of money my budget was actually pretty darn close. I am a little above my goal right now but that will change soon.

One thing I have noticed as well is in the small towns like Revelstoke where there is a local bike shop 90% of people ride quality bikes. It is kind of cool to see a town without a super cycle. Where as in most other small towns there is no bike shop so all you see is mass merchant bikes. I am not sure what to read into this but I just found it very interesting.

On the fundraising note through thinking about it I defiantly did not spend enough time beforehand getting the hype behind the trip so I am trying to make up for that right now through talking to everyone that I meet. I would appreciate that anyone who reads the blog and enjoys the adventure spread the word and lets make this happen.

Anyways I must go for a stroll or maybe even shave. I have not 100% committed to this whole shaving thing yet however. I will update you tomorrow. As well I uploaded the first batch of pictures onto my facebook page so if you don’t have me as a friend add me in order to view them.
Trip Distance: 71.96km
Ride Time: 4:11hrs
Avg. Speed: 17.16km/hr
Total Distance: 696km
Total Ride Time: 38:15hrs
Destination: Revelstoke, B.C.

1 comment:

  1. Evan! You are awesome!

    I just read your article in the Tri City News.
    I did (a version of) the Ride to Conquer Cancer a little while back and was in the same paper and blogged about it, too: http://christinasride.blogspot.com/
    I bought a new bike at Westwood as well, how do you like that?

    Anyway, I will catch up on my reading here soon and definitely check back to see how you're doing.

    I'd SOO love to go cycling for a year.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete